Everyone knows that exercise is good for them. We can burn fat, strengthen our cardiovascular system, and even improve our outlook on life. But what about walking specifically? Walking is one of the most popular forms of exercise because it’s easy to do and you don’t need a gym membership. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the health benefits of a regular walking regimen.
For Your Body
Walking for exercise can improve the look and function of your body in many ways. Here are some of the physical benefits of walking 30 minutes a day on a consistent basis.
- Maintain or lose weight – Walking burns fat and calories, plus boosts your metabolism
- Reduce disease risk – A regular walking regimen can significantly cut your risk of diseases such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
- Strengthen bones and muscles – Walking is weigh-bearing exercise, since you have to move your own body weight to keep it going. As such, walking can improve and maintain muscle conditioning, lubricate joints, and help maintain bone density.
- Better coordination and balance – Physical activity like walking has a way of improving your body’s ability to balance and coordinate other movements. If you’re afraid of losing those abilities as you age, a simple walking routine can help.
- Improve digestion – Regular walking can improve your body’s ability to process food and eliminate waste.
For Your Mind
It’s no secret that exercise is good for your body and your mind. Getting out for a walk or hopping on the treadmill most days offers you the following youth-enhancing benefits.
- Get your mind moving – Recent studies have found that people who walk regularly can think more creatively than those who don’t.
- Boost your mood – Walking can also set you up for a better day. Getting out of the office and getting active can provide a great escape from stress and improve the rest of your day.
- Better productivity – Two 15-minute walks per day can produce your productivity by helping you decompress and give your mind a break.
- Relieve stress – We have unprecedented amounts of stress in our lives today. But the simple act of walking every day can help relieve that stress and help you tackle life with a better outlook.
Let’s Get Moving
Whether you decide to walk outside or at home on a treadmill, a regular habit of walking will help you lead a healthier, happier life. Who couldn’t use a revved-up metabolism and fat burning, more disease resistance, and a sharper, happier mind? Start with 5 minutes if you need to, then slowly work up to 30 minutes or more. Your body and brain will thank you!